For much of the history of UVA, it was plausible to represent THE student with a single image. It’s time to (re)present what we mean when we say “UVA student” today. The Women’s Center is hosting (re)present, a juried arts and writing competition, and calling on the UVA community to generate the images, notes, words and other creations that you see and hear as (re)presenting YOU.
Winners in each of the competition’s four submission categories will receive cash awards: $500 for 1st place, $250 for 2nd place, $100 for 3rd place. Drawings for other prizes for participants will be held in addition to the cash awards for category winners.
Submissions are due February 19, 2021 and will be made to one of these four categories: 1) paintings, drawings, photos, collage, printmaking, mural proposals, or other 2D art; 2) sculpture, models, installations, or other 3D art; 3) film, animation, or other non-traditional digital art; 4) poetry, essay, fiction, non-fiction, or other written literature. Forthcoming announcements will provide updates on notable judges who will review submissions. Visit https://womenscenter.virginia.
Exhibitions of select (re)present submissions are planned for Spring 2021 to showcase the talent of the University community and to contribute to the sense of belonging among UVA students.
This competition is open to UVA Only.
- Use our (re)present submission guide to prepare your submission.
- Complete our (re)present submission form to deliver your work to us by the submission deadline. Entries must be received by February 19, 2021 at 11:59 pm EST.
- paintings, drawings, photos, collage, printmaking, mural proposals, or other 2D art
- sculpture, models, installations, or other 3D art
- film, animation, or other non-traditional digital art
- poetry, essay, fiction, non-fiction, or other written literature